The Laziest Diet... EVER!

Aug 11, 2009

Days of Summer

Last August 7, I had the chance to marvel at some great art by Filipino Artist, Marcel Antonio. Thanks to Galerie Joaquin Singapore, I was able to absorb and appreciate the introspective mind of this artist.

My personal favorite was Days of Summer.

Ok, ok, maybe I am partial because it was set again... in summer!

Days of Summer 4ft X 5ft Oil on Canvas
This artwork depicts an idyllic scene in a part in a metropolis. The challenge in this painting is that here, the artist bravely paints a picture that daringly dares to be half empty. In most of his works, the artist himself admits that he usually ends up filling all the spaces with symbolisms and figures until the entire space on the canvas is full. This one dares to be different. It challenges concepts of composition and succeeds precisely because of the large quiet space in the middle emphasizing the mood and the concept of a lazy summer day. Again, the artist feels this is a major collectible piece.


When I'd go to exhibits before, I would pressure myself to get this deep message from the painting, thinking that there is only one interpretation. The interpretation of the artist. I told that to a curator and he wondered why I had to make things difficult. Just let it be. No need to get a message, or find the underlying meaning. Just appreciate it. That's right.

There are about 10 works of art in the exhibit, all intriguing and breathtaking. Even if Days of Summer is my fave, I was most intriqued with Green Park Days 1,2,3. Check it out and you will know what I mean!

The exhibit, entitled Tales of Tales Beyond the Surface, A one-man show by Marcel Antonio, will run till August 24 in Galerie Joaquin at the Regent Singapore, 1 Cuscaden Road Ground Floor Unit 3. For more information on this artist and this exhibit, contact Mia Y. Marchadesch at (65)90057410.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin